At Russ Weninger Immigration Law we can help you sponsor certain family members to become permanent residents of Canada.

Obtaining entry to Canada through family sponsorship allows relatives of sponsors to live and work in Canada without restrictions. Different from a Canadian skilled worker application, this program doesn’t require a specific employment offer for the applicant to immigrate to Canada. Permanent residents of Canada or Canadian citizens may sponsor certain family members to immigrate to Canada as permanent residents.

Basic Requirement for Sponsors

To be able to sponsor family members, the sponsoring party must be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, must reside in Canada, must be at least 18 years of age, and in some cases must have sufficient income to support relatives when they arrive in Canada. There’s no minimum income level required in sponsoring a spouse, minor child, common-law-partner, or conjugal partner, although income requirements may apply to sponsoring other types of relatives. The sponsor must enter into a written agreement with the Government of Canada to support a sponsored spouse, common-law-partner, conjugal partner, or other family member for a period of time.

Types of Relatives Who May Be Sponsored

Spouse – A spouse refers to a person who is legally married to the sponsor. If the marriage of the sponsor and the applicant did not occur in Canada, it will be deemed legal by Canadian immigration authorities provided that the marriage is legal in the country where the marriage occurred.

Common-law Partner – A common-law partner refers to a person whom the sponsor has lived together in a marriage-like relationship for at least 1 year.

Conjugal Partner – A conjugal partner refers to a person with a marriage-like relationship with the sponsor for at least 1 year but has not lived together with the sponsor due to extenuating circumstances.

Children – Typically, only unmarried, dependent children under the age of 19 may be sponsored.

Parents – The Government of Canada will be accepting sponsorship applications beginning in January.

Grandparents – The Government of Canada will be accepting sponsorship applications beginning in January.

Orphans – An orphan is the sponsor’s sibling, niece, nephew or grandchild who is under 18 years old and whose parents are both deceased.

Adopted Child – A person under the age of 18 that the sponsor intends to adopt. The onus is on the sponsor to demonstrate that the adoption is not primarily for immigration purposes.

Other Relatives – Other relatives can occasionally be sponsored in certain circumstances. However, these circumstances are extremely rare.

The process of immigrating through the Family Sponsorship Canada program can be complex both for the applicant and the sponsor. Getting the assistance of Russ Weninger Immigration Law can help make the application process smooth and give you the best chance of approval. To book a consultation, call us today at 403-265-4496.